The first step of the project was to pick a microinteraction that aggravated us. Then we needed to analyze the current state of our chosen microinteraction in order to find some problems or frustrations users might encounter. We were able to pick a couple different methods. I chose to create a flowchart and a user journey of the current system.
From the system analysis, I was able to find a couple points where the current system might cause some frustrations for the user. These problems were then used later in the design process as a check-list to make sure the solution was actually an improvement.
Once we identified the problems of our micro interactions, we were tasked with making some initial concepts through sketching, wireframes, and finally building a prototype to test with real users. For the wire framing portion, I used Sketch. Additionally for the prototyping portion, I used Principle for an interactive prototype of the notification center and Adobe After Effects to demonstrate what the banner notifications would look like.
I had made the initial concept sketches and made those into wireframes in Sketch. I then made some derivatives of certain concepts which led me to create new ideas in the process. From there I rejected some of the moonshot ideas that weren’t usable enough and went forward with prototyping them in Principle and After Effects. Once the prototypes were built, I then tested them with real users.
I tested the design with 5 participants. These participants demonstrated a wide spectrum of comfort with technology. I made sure to test at least one user that was familiar with Android as to keep the data from being skewed only toward iOS users. I showed them three different banner notification style then had the participants go through a cognitive walkthrough with a working prototype on an iPhone. I followed up with an interview asking about specific actions they took during the walkthrough afterwards.
After testing the design, I gathered some very valuable feedback that I worked back into the design. Almost all of the changes were minor tweaks to elements like icons or the placement of a button.
On the second to last day of this project, I came up with this idea. I would later develop the idea in the CarPlay 2.0 Project. I was trying to tackle the problems of notification overload in this project and had not considered one of the emerging technologies; Personal AI assistants. After a user wakes up, comes out of a movie, or concludes an important meeting Siri would present the user with a prompt at the top of their screen. This prompt would lead them to the Siri Wrap Up, which is a rundown of the most important of your notifications that you've missed. If you've received a couple payments in Venmo, Siri would let you know in a easily digestible manner without bombarding you with multiple notifications.